Part-Time Custodian – 2 Positions Available
We are looking for a proactive and efficient custodian who possesses an understanding of proper cleaning methods and a respect for the religious and cultural beliefs of others. The custodian will ensure that all publicly accessible areas of the church are clean, orderly, and ready for use. The successful candidate will have a positive and friendly demeanor and will be observant, respectful, motivated, and committed to providing church members, visitors, and staff with a clean, orderly place to worship and congregate. This is a part-time position not to exceed 29 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintains clean church facilities by performing weekly duties and daily spot cleaning in all public areas of the building, including bathrooms, sanctuary, kitchens, and classrooms.
- Makes minor repairs, vacuums, sweeps, and scrubs floors, sanitizes surfaces, and restocks items, such as toilet paper, paper towels, and other supplies. Maintains supply inventory, submits purchase requests, and assists with setting up and tear down for all events.
- Works with facilities team members and church staff to ensure that all areas are cleaned and stocked with necessary items.
- Observes proper chemical handling procedures when working with cleaning agents, including wearing appropriate gloves, goggles, or masks and following written or verbal instructions.
- Proactively restocking bathrooms and making minor repairs as needed.
- Assists with event preparations including table and chair set up, arranging furniture, and clean-up of all trash and returning room to proper set up following events.
- Takes inventory of cleaners and other supplies and submits requests when items need to be replenished.
- Interacts with church staff and visitors in a friendly, respectful, and positive manner at all times.
Qualifications: Education & Experience
- Must possess a High School Diploma or equivalent, valid Texas driver’s license, and reliable transportation.
- Must be able to speak, read and write in English.
- 1 to 3 years of directly related experience in a large multi-structure facility.
- Must have a working knowledge of cleaning techniques and related safety procedures.
- Able to work a set schedule of hours M-F 11:30 PM – 5:00 PM. The assigned schedule may be changed and additional hours may be required based on the needs of the Church including work on weekends and/or holidays to assure coverage during ministry events.
Skills & Abilities:
- You have a strong work ethic, are dependable, and can be counted on to show up to work on time.
- You maintain a neat and clean appearance and practice good hygiene.
- You have a heart to serve, you anticipate needs and meet them with humility and compassion.
- You have good communication and comprehension skills. You actively listen to others, ask questions to verify understanding, and you use tact and consideration when interacting with others.
- You are efficient in prioritizing and completing tasks. You are able to work with minimal supervision, self-motivated, and show initiative.
- You set high standards for your work and ensure quality and accuracy in every aspect of work performed.
- You can receive constructive feedback and coaching without being defensive. You promptly modify behavior to meet expectations.
- You take personal responsibility and ownership for adhering to all policies and procedures while also completing work timely and in accordance with performance expectations.
- You can be counted on to keep commitments made to others, and you take responsibility for choices you have made, the actions you have taken, and the results. You admit when you make mistakes.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The custodian position is physically demanding. The custodian must spend the entire time at work standing, walking, lifting, operating medium weight cleaning equipment such as floor buffers; sweeping and mopping floors and moving furniture and emptying and carrying trash bags and other disposable materials to the outside receptacles, climbing stairs and ladders, stooping, crouching kneeling and pushing. The custodian is required to do a great deal of stretching and bending, often in awkward positions. The position requires the successful candidate to be able to lift up to 50lbs and to be able to manipulate and stack chairs, 8ft tables, and other furniture without assistance.
The custodian will work on a daily basis with cleaning materials that may give off noxious fumes and have powerful odors. If not handled properly, cleaning materials can cause injury, sickness, and/or skin irritations and rashes. Custodians must read and follow instructions and exercise proper precautions in handling such products.